Monday, June 3, 2013

Reality Check - You Matter

I am often called upon by family and friends when they are dealing with an emotional situation. Not because I am sympathetic, but because I am down-to-earth. I often hear, "Ellen, I'm calling you because I know you'll tell it like it is, you're so realistic, and you really know how to cut the emotions out of it. I need that right now." And it's really true; I can take pretty much any situation and look at it from a non-emotional point of view. I get that emotion plays an important role in our decisions and how we handle situations, but sometimes it's nice to see a different persepective; to remove the emotions from it, see both perspectives, and determine what makes the most sense, logically and factually. It's also nice to be reminded that your thoughts have a valid place. That YOU MATTER. 
 
It is because of my balanced, even-keeled approach to life that many people value my opinion, respect my advice, and listen to my views.  I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, I'm actually writing down things I have been told about myself, repeatedly, over the last several years. I also write this down because I have a passion to help others around me learn how to feel balanced and have this even-keeled approach to life; to learn how to separate the emotions that we feel towards a situation from the facts of the situation itself; and most importantly, to realize that your thoughts and views are valid, that you are valid, that you have importance in this journey of life. I am saddened by how many people I cross paths with who don't think they have value, worth, importance in the world. I'm telling you, every single one of you has a place and a purpose. ["For I know the plans I have for you," declared the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11] You were created by God, in His image, for His purpose. And YOU MATTER. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise, and do not let your own fears hold you back from discovering what you can do, what you were meant to do, what God wants to see you doing. Do not go through life waiting for things to change, for others to change, for something "to give".  Do what you can for yourself, because YOU MATTER.

I kept telling myself "something has to give, I can't be on this cycle or in this rut forever" until I realized that what needed to "give" was ME!! I am in control of the changes that need to be made to get off the cycle of unhealthiness or out of the rut of no energy. God has provided the people and the tools that I need, but only I can choose to use them. And I am choosing to use them because I MATTER.

I often let situations with people get worse then they need to be as I wait for that person to change, and I slowly become bitter and resentful.  I tell myself "well, if he would just see it my way!!". Chances are, though, he's thinking the same thing! If I wait around for somebody else to change, it will never happen; I must instead change how I allow them to affect me. God has provided me with communication tools, but only I can choose to use them positively and effectively. And I will choose to use them because I MATTER.

We all were created for good; God wants to see us be healthy, be happy, love others, help others. He understands that we need to make our own choices; this is the very reason his son Jesus died on the cross, "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do". We won't always do the right thing; we will sometimes even knowingly do the wrong thing, just because. Because we're lazy, or tired of the injustices we feel we cannot change, or feel somehow entitled, or have become apathetic. Excuses, we live in a world filled with them; the government has excuses for the state of our economy; celebrities have excuses for their ridiculous behavior; wealthy have excuses for their lavish spending; poor have excuses for not working; the list goes on, unending. But you have the power to end the excuses for yourself. You can choose not to do the wrong thing "just because". You can be a voice against the injustices and for positive societal change. YOU MATTER.

You cannot force anyone around you to change, but you can be the change you wish to see in others. Be the influence that causes those around you to want to change. Empower yourself so you can empower those who are on the path of life with you. YOU MATTER.



 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment