Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Doug's Deals

I give my husband a hard time about being a packrat, about keeping anything and everything that he thinks "may have a use some day". Over the years, I have become a "move it on out" girl. I like to get rid of stuff, simplify, try to keep the house organized. It would seem to be more logical that I just not buy that stuff in the first place, something my mother and sisters remind me. Often. But alas, I love to find deals, I love to snag a good bargain, and let's be honest...I love to shop. Doug, not so much. He would rather not have to shop for anything, ever. Except maybe truck parts. But, he does love to find a deal and snag a bargain...and he's managed to do that twice in recent weeks, much to the pure joy and delight of his children!
 
Doug's Deal #1:  Gracie's friend showed her his new loft bed, and she thought that was pretty cool. Doug thought how nice it was to have all that extra storage underneath the bed. He asked Gracie if she might want a loft bed, so she could have more room for all her stuff, and she said of course. Not one to just buy something that he thinks he can make himself, Doug set about looking at ideas online. Within no time, he had drawn up a little blueprint and had found a good amount of lumber to get started with in his "saving it for some day" piles outside. I came home from work one evening and the project was well underway in my parking spot in the garage. Between what Doug had found in his stash, and some pieces he salvaged from the throw-away pile at my work, he ended up making a loft bed for a grand total of $30...and that was spent only on bolts, and paint! He started painting it with the pink that we had leftover from Gracie's room, but it was too light so I suggested he take her to The Home Depot to pick out a bright, fun color. Within a couple of weeks, Gracie's bed was built, painted, installed in her room, and she has enjoyed sleeping in it every night since! And I have enjoyed her room being less cluttered!
 
 
Doug's Deal #2:  During one of his recent Craigslist browsing sessions, Doug came across a listing for a free kids ATV. The person getting rid of it said that it probably just needed a new battery, they weren't really sure, but it didn't run. Well Doug figured he could put the Power Wheels battery in it, and knowing how obsessed Joel is these days with ATV's and "muddy water mud trucks", he headed over to pick it up. Less than 24 hours later, he had it running after finding there was just something wrong with a wire connected to the battery! So now the kids can ride around on the ATV and the Power Wheels Silverado, without fighting about who gets to drive! Score!!

1 comment: