Friday, November 8, 2013

TGIF

When I was working only part-time, and Doug was working weekends, and we did not yet have children in school, I had no appreciation for the sentiment of 'TGIF - Thank Goodness It's Friday'. Our "weekend" was typically Wednesday-Thursday, because those were the days Doug (usually) had off. But of course, if Doug was off, then I was working, at least on one of the days. So we maybe had Thursdays as a family day. Sometimes. But Friday rolled around, and Doug worked an all-day shift, and I often was home with the kids. And it often felt more like a Monday to us, especially to Doug.
 
Since I began working full-time, and Doug is not working so he's home on "real" weekends, and we have a child in school, Friday takes on a whole new meaning!! I really do feel that 'TGIF' feeling, and now I understand why so many people have a regular Friday-night-out, be it pizza night, or drinks with co-workers night, family night, or date night. I remember as a child Friday meant an evening of ABC family shows. There is something so peaceful about knowing that the work and school week is over, and the family gets two days "off", to relax, to catch up on house stuff, to have a family outing, or run errands. To simply not have to wake up to an alarm clock, head out the door early in the morning, and be at a desk all day is a blissful feeling! Monday will always be just a couple days away, and the routine will begin again, but those two days of no work (or school) really are nice.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment