Saturday, November 2, 2013

Thankful for Being Together

Today was a most relaxing and peaceful Saturday. I found myself remembering similar Saturdays from my childhood; those Fall days when my siblings and I were all school-age(sorry Em, that means you weren't around yet!), and Saturday meant sleeping in, family breakfast, morning cartoons, and hours of playing. Some of those hours were spent playing in our rooms, others were spent playing board games in the living room. The word that comes to my mind when I think back on those times is 'calm'.
 
Today was a day for setting aside all the things that need to be done, (other than a trip to Trader Joes to stock up on healthy foods so we can do this Challenge right!!), leaving the TV off, ignoring the cell phone, and enjoying my family. Watching my son cover the living room floor in Matchbox cars and Monster Jam trucks (which he played with for hours!) and helping my daughter practice her letter writing and math (admittedly this was done on my Nook today, there is a time and place for enjoying the advances of technology!) were my biggest accomplishments today, and that makes me happy! There are things I thought I needed to get done today that I ignored, but that's okay, they'll get done tomorrow instead, and today I reminded my children that they are important. And I think that is important! And it made for a calm and peaceful day, which we are ending by taking advantage of knowing we're gaining an hour of sleep tonight (thank you Fall Daylight Savings!) and staying up later than we should, watching Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.
 
In the wise words of Marcie from C.B.'s Thanksgiving: "Thanksgiving is more than eating, Chuck. We should just be thankful for being together."  Today I am thankful that I have these two beauties to be together with! Their daddy ain't so bad either, and I'm extra thankful to have family Saturdays that include him!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment